Monday 5 September 2011

Labour Daze


Labour Day weekend and I'm back at my post from my sojourn on the Detroit River. Saturday was the best weather of the weekend, which as I type is overcast and chilly. Mournful, even. As if sad and downcast over the prospect of school starting again tomorrow, the Ex closing for another year, summer being all but officially over. Pathetic fallacy for you English majors.

Despite the hoards cleaning out the farmers' stalls inside (note to self: buy haricots verts early to avoid disappointment), it was a slow day for me. The low vendor turnout should have been a clue. If I had checked last year's records in advance, I would have been reminded that it was the same this weekend last year. Just so long as I don't have to take it personally, I'm fine.

The highlight of the morning was the young bluegrass band that parked itself beside me, by the fountain, and played for too brief a time. They were really good! I'm sorry I didn't catch the band's name and I hope they'll be back soon.

A little dog at the fountain jumped repeatedly and exuberantly when his people splashed water on him, to the delight of all assembled. This photo doesn't really do him justice.









Karina took home a new hairband, but didn't want to try on the green sinamay disc hat, because it was "too weird." (Love!)










This feathered sinamay swirl
found a new home with this lovely lady.












I thought I'd use this lull to tell you a bit about my tent neighbours of the past several weeks. Roberto Riveros takes great photos of local landmarks and sells framed prints of them. Some of them include his friend Stephen Zaitsov, who helps him at the Market.








That's Stephen at Grossman's door.

Roberto is originally from Edmonton. He met Stephen, from Toronto, at a flop house in Vancouver. They don't seem very floppy these days. They've known each other for some twenty years now and have worked together before, like when Roberto ran a trucking business. They'd haul just about anything -- metal, fine furniture, computers, frozen goats, sometimes all at once. Roberto says he racked up almost a million miles, personally, during this time. Stephen adds that he himself got into some interesting accidents and hasn't driven since. Despite the memories that were sparked and the stories that poured forth too fast to record, neither misses this episode of their lives.


Stephen has fabulous style and a great love of hats. He has quite a collection, so I am honoured that he likes Mean Mr. Mustard, too.





For Roberto, photography is his hobby. He has a portfolio career; he does lots of things for a living, like building websites. Perhaps his most important job these days is taking care of his young son. With his wife at nursing school by night and working by day, Roberto's getting his little guy ready for his very first day of school tomorrow.

Roberto's photos,in black and white and colour, are attracting lots of close looks by lots of Market visitors. His framed prints are priced from $25 to $110. Take a look for yourself.

It's been (and still is) great having these guys sharing my tent this summer and I hope we'll get to do it again next season.

No comments :

Post a Comment