Saturday 17 August 2013

O Happy Day!



This day deserves a bouquet, and Salome has provided this one.

It was another spectacular weather day with everyone at St. Lawrence Market feeling groovy. Or, at least, mighty fine. The subways were running, the Canadian National Exhibition has just begun, the farmers' stalls were bursting with produce and flowers, and it was great just to be alive.


Jollity in a nutshell. Or photograph. Stephen is teaching himself to juggle, and after only a day or two he is nailing it! Must have something to do with his other life as a tennis wiz. All that hand/eye co-ordination. I am all admiration.


Here is the lady from last week's photo, this time without a wagon. Unless it's her friend. There were two of them today, playing interesting instruments and singing charming old folk songs. (If you're new to this blog, St, Lawrence Market is Toronto's oldest market, dating from colonial times, in a neighbourhood where historical preservation is still a value.) I told Scott he should consider hiring them for his book launch. (In case I haven't mentioned it in the last five minutes or so, my indispensable Scott Kennedy is having his first book, a history of Willowdale, published by Dundurn Press on November 23. You can pre-order it! Go ahead, I'll wait... )

I was having a wonderful day, with lots of lovely customers who were not camera shy! Let's meet them.


Jessica found the perfect mint green linen trilby waiting for her. She tried on others, but this one wouldn't be denied. Apparently it really wanted to live in Texas, where they have more summer. I'm so happy for them! Thanks, Jessica!


Judi had modeled a hat for me a couple of years ago, and today she bought this comfy, breezy, seagrass cap. My best new innovation this season. Thanks, Judi!


Lovely Virginia chose this grey silk calla to accompany her to a party this weekend. Excellent choice! It looks wonderful on her. Thank you, Virginia!

Dog break!


This is Lily, a French bulldog puppy, and the daily dog. Squee!


My old buddy, the fountain bulldog. How I love him.


Henry, with his girls. The light-coloured pooch is Kasha and the smaller, darker pooch is Sophia. They are wonderful passengers on the scooter, jumping next to Henry's feet on command. Good girls! Biscuits!

Okay, back to all human people.


I don't seem to have a record of this customer's name. She was at my table during a small blizzard of activity, and I guess I let her slip away with her anonymity intact. Bad milliner! No biscuit! But I am so glad she chose this natural linen trilby with mother of pearl buttons. Neutral, but distinguished and glowing. Thank you, nice lady! Please email me your name if you would be so kind and I'll update this post!


Marla was taken with this red, white and blue fascinator, so she took it. Yay! Thanks, Marla!


When I saw Marl's mom, Aggie, work this brim, I knew she was of my tribe -- the people of the hat. Awesome choice! Thanks, Aggie!

And that's the kind of day it was. Here are Carl and Salome to bid you adieu until next week (weather permitting):


















No comments :

Post a Comment